So, you have been asked to present a talk on your research project for the joint DTP conference: Engaging Sustainability but you don’t have the best internet connection and are worried about losing connection during the conference. Although we are encouraging presenters to present live talks can be pre-recorded and submitted to the conference committee before the 3rd September. These recordings will be played by the conference committee during the presentation slot. Presentation recordings can also be used as a backup for live presentations. If you do submit your presentation as a recording please make sure that you attend the session that you are scheduled to present in to answer questions during the Q&A session.
Recording your presentation doesn’t have to be a 4K cinematographic masterpiece. It can be done using the webcam and microphone on your computer and commonly used software e.g. Zoom, or PowerPoint. Please find below instructions on how to record your presentation using either Zoom or MS PowerPoint.
- Start a meeting with zoom, this can be done with either a free or paid zoom account.
- From the home tab start the webcam and audio on the call, in the example figure above only the webcam needs to be connected.
- Open your presentation into presentation mode and share your screen to the zoom call. If you have multiple screens you need to select the one with the presentation view on it. If your web camera is active zoom will add a thumbnail of your camera output. If you are comfortable, please position this in your presentation window.
- Press the record button on the zoom call and present your research. Then select “record to this computer” setting and select the location that you would like the file to be saved. This will record the presentation in MP4 format by default.
- While recording is active further recording controls are available in the More… section of the zoom toolbar, including pause recording and stop recording.
- Once you have completed your presentation stop the recording and zoom will save the recording to your local disk. Please locate the video file and send it to the DTP Conference committee.
Presentations can be recorded within Microsoft PowerPoint itself.
- Slideshow tab, and record slide show option.
- Select record from the beginning of the presentation and you will be presented with the window in the second figure.
- Within the setting dropdown select the connected microphone and webcam that you would like to use for your recording. If you wish to have a thumbnail of your video within your recording you will need to enable the camera feed in the bottom right of the recording screen.
- When you are ready to present press the record button in the top left of the screen and give your presentation.
- Once you have finished presenting stop the recording and save the presentation. This will embed a video thumbnail in your presentation window. This can be moved and resized within the presentation for each slide.
- Export your presentation as a video using the File – Export – Create a Video option. Please save the video as a .mp4 file and send it to the conference committee.
For further details on recording presentations using Microsoft PowerPoint please see this youtube video.
What video formats are accepted?
Ideally videos will be provided in mp4 format. All videos will be check by the committee before presenting and any queries will be raised with the presenters before their allocated presentation session.
Where to send your presentations recordings?
Please share your recorded presentation with the DTP Conference Committee (email@example.com) using a cloud based file sharing account, such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive. Instructions for sharing files using each of these formats can be found below.
Google Drive – https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822